Back in March 2017, Google announced its new partnership with German software giant SAP. The aim of this strategic partnership is to integrate Google’s industry-leading machine-learning technology and cloud-based services with the enterprise applications developed by SAP. On May 16, Google revealed the progress their partnership had made in the last two months, including the certification of SAP NetWeaver apps in the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and expanded support for the SAP HANA database management system.
Previously, SAP had been falling behind with regards to its integrations with the major cloud infrastructure providers. The latest developments, however, mean that SAP now supports all the “big three” vendors: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and the Google Cloud Platform. This also means that it will be easier for businesses to migrate between different cloud platforms and avoid vendor lock-in, although the costs of such migrations are likely to remain high due to outgoing data fees.
What Are the Benefits of Using GCP to Run SAP Solutions?
The partnership between Google and SAP will allow businesses that use both vendors to make much better use of their IT resources. Greater integration between the two will allow for seamless transition between the different services while enabling enterprise applications to take advantage of Google’s global scalability. However, there are many other important benefits of using GCP for hosting your SAP solutions, including the following:
- GCP provides world-class security for your SAP databases and applications. For example, apps based on the SAP NetWeaver framework are now certified to run on GCP. Certification for SAP HANA is also in the works, which is especially good news for enterprises with rapidly growing data sets.
- Perhaps the most oft-cited advantage of migrating to the cloud in the first place is scalability. As one of the world’s biggest public cloud providers, GCP provides global scalability. The partnership allows enterprises using SAP solutions to tap into Google’s global network, making it easier than ever for them to relocate or expand into new territories.
- Machine learning is one of Google’s key areas of development, and the partnership with SAP will help enable business transformation using integrated machine-learning APIs. With AI representing the future of computing, the collaboration between the two companies should see the development of intelligent, conversational apps that guide users through otherwise complex processes.
- Improved productivity is an important result of greater integration between enterprise IT solutions. The Google-SAP partnership will allow for a seamless transition between, for example, Gmail and SAP’s CRM software by eliminating duplicate contacts and ensuring that every lead is properly accounted for. As a result, employees will be able to save time by not having to look in multiple places for specific information, such as customer details.
- The ability to manage your company’s SAP solutions in GCP provides greater visibility and control thanks to the fact you’ll have a more centralised way to manage your entire IT infrastructure and everything that comes along with it. Google is now working with SAP to develop compliance, risk-management and governance solutions that will change the way data is handled.
Google’s partnership with SAP should deepen to further bridge the gap between the popular services offered by both companies. After just two months of working together, Google now supports the SAP Hana (both BYOL and Express editions) and SAP business applications based on the NetWeaver application server. By combining some of the world’s most popular enterprise software solutions with the power and flexibility of the global Google phenomenon, businesses will be in a better position to grow by increasing productivity and reducing overheads.
Damson Cloud understands the concerns and complexities involved in making that transition to the cloud or consolidating existing infrastructures. If you’d like to find out how we can help increase the efficiency of your business’s IT resources, give us a call today.